Burgers are loved by many people, but it’s hard to find a healthy one. These turkey burgers are low in calories and fat! They have a Greek flavor with the addition of feta cheese, oregano, spinach and using tzatziki sauce instead of mayonnaise on the bun!
- 14 ounces (400g) extra lean ground turkey breast
- 2 packages (10oz or 283g size) of frozen spinach, defrosted
- 3 ounces (84g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and minced
- 2 green (scallions or spring) onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) dried basil
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) dries oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) black pepper
- 16 thin slices of tomato (2 per burger)
- 16 slices red onion (2 per burger)
- 16 small leafs romaine lettuce (2 per burger)
- 8 whole wheat burger buns
- 8 tablespoons (120ml) tzatziki (1 tablespoon per burger)
Time required 60 minutes
Difficulty level 3
Cost of ingredients 8 USD
Squeeze the excess liquid out of the spinach and place in a large bowl. Add in the turkey, garlic, green onions, pepper, basil, oregano, and feta cheese. Using your hands, mix together well so everything is evenly distributed. Cover and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Slice tomato, onion, and prepare lettuce and set to the side.
Remove turkey and spinach mix from the refrigerator and form into 8 patties. Place on a hot grill and cover. Allow to cook 8 minutes on each side or until done. Inside will be white and juices clear when cooked through.
Place burger buns on grill for about 30 seconds and remove.
To assemble, place 1 tablespoon of tzatziki sauce on the bun, spreading on both halves. Place turkey burger on bottom bun and layer lettuce, tomato, and onion and top with the other half of the bun.
Serving size 1/8 of the recipe (226g) Does not include tzatziki (Percentages based on a 2,000 calorie diet)
Nutrition Facts (per serving): Cal. 327, Total fat 10g, Sat. Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g, Monounsaturated Fat .5g, Polyunsaturated Fat .3g, Cholesterol 49mg, Sodium 756mg, Total Carbohydrates 41g, Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 6g, Protein 21g, Vit. A 161%, Vit. C 17%, Calcium 23%, Iron 23%
Photo by comecloser